Home Forums Everyday Management Dealing with rude people who don’t believe you have a concussion…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi

I have come across many of these people. Unfortunately, some were healthcare professionals. Initially, it can be quite demoralizing. Words are powerful. They can hurt or heal. However, time heals all wounds. If we maintain our dignity and self control, we can become stronger at the broken places. This is a good outcome that helps us heal faster.

People are rude for a variety of reasons. One of them could be to make themselves feel better by making you feel worse. A constructive way to approach this type of situation may be by asking something like: I’m sorry that you don’t understand my disability. Is there anything I can do to help you understand it better?”

Walk away from escalating confrontations. Think before reacting, and speak in a calm and polite manner. Keep a cool tool, as we used to say some years ago. If friends leave you, they were not worth having in the first place.

Any interaction of this type is an opportunity to strengthen our self esteem, and to educate others about concussions and brain trauma in general. If you can’t think of anything positive to say or do, smile and walk away. When you have a quiet moment, take time to reflect on the interaction.

Robertleo2323
    Participant

“The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places.”

—ERNEST HEMINGWAY,
    “A Farewell to Arms”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.